Butte County Newspapers

Thus far, I have been able to find the names of the following newspapers which have been published at one time or another within the confines of Butte County. Many of these papers have been microfilmed by the South Dakota State Archives in Pierre, and may be available through interlibrary loan. To view the holdings of the State Archives, link to: the SD State Library Network, and then click on "South Dakota State Archives" in the drop-down box. You will be able to log-on to the network as a guest. Additionally, the Belle Fourche Public Library has past issues of the Belle Fourche papers available; write to Pat Engebretson , the Head Librarian, for their holdings, and for additional assistance. Thanks, Pat!

Belle Fourche Bee Belle Fourche May 1891 to present
Belle Fourche Daily Post* Belle Fourche 4 October 1902 to present
Belle Fourche Times# Belle Fourche Jan 1896 to 1898
Butte County News Nisland ca 1909 to 1915
Butte County Press Nisland 23 April 1910 to 27 June 1929
Butte County Star Minnesela 1884 to abt 1895
Call to Action Vale 30 June 1913 to 9 February 1918
Castle Rock Press and Moreau News@ Castle Rock 1911 to 1 March 1928
Fruitdale Pioneer Fruitdale 1915 to unknown
Moreau News Hoover 1910 to 29 March 1917
Orman Duster Orman Dam / Arpan area ca 1933 to 1940
Reclamation News Newell 1912 to 13 December 1917
Rothford Homesteader Rothford 1911 to unknown
Tri-City News Nisland/Fruitdale/Vale 1939 to unknown
Vale Farmer Vale 1928 to unknown
Vale Independent Vale 1927 to unknown
Vale Register Vale 1911 to unknown
Valley Irrigator, The Vale 1907 - 14 April 1910
Valley Irrigator Newell 24 April 1910 - present

*NOTE: "The Northwest Post" was established as a weekly newspaper in Belle Fourche in 1902. When the paper became a daily, the name was changed to "The Belle Fourche Daily Post."

#NOTE: The "Belle Fourche Times" merged with the "Bee" in 1898. This paper was then published as the "Belle Fourche Bee - Times" until 1905, when the paper once again assumed the name of the "Bee."

@NOTE: The "Castle Rock Homesteader" began in 1911. The "Moreau News " was published in Hoover beginning in 1910. On 29 March 1917, the two papers were merged, and the "Castle Rock Press and Moreau News" was begun. On 1 March 1928, the paper was purchased by and merged into the "Valley Irrigator" in Newell.

Please send comments, feedback, or additions/corrections to this list.

Return to the Butte County Genealogy Home Page

This Page Updated on 14 July 2008