Butte County Obituaries & News

If you have an obituary, will, or other newsworthy item that you'd like to share concerning someone who died in Butte County before 1945, you are welcome to submit it to this page.


ANDERSON: Death of Henry Anderson. Henry Anderson, age 83, answered the final summons on Monday, January 21, 1929. Death was due to influenza and infirmities of old age. Funderal services were held at the Snoma school house, near Fruitdale, on Wednesday, January 23rd, and interment made in Snoma cemetery. Henry Anderson was born in Finland in 1846. He married Mary Tilikkala in 1869, and to this union were born seven children, three of who are dead. Three of the living children reside in Finland, and one son, John Sampila, lives near Newell. Mr. Anderson came to America in 1886. He first located in Hancock, Michigan, then later moved to Snoma where he obtained a homestead. His wife died here in 1916. He lived in Snoma until five years ago when he had a stroke of paralysis, and then came to live with his son in Newell. He leaves to mourn his loss four children, Hilma, Marie and Oscar, living in Finland, and John, living in the vicinity of Newell; also a sister and brother in Finland. Another brother, Stephen Anderson, lives in Fruitdale and a sister, Mrs. Riutta, lives in Deadwood. He also leaves five grandchildren and one great grandson.

Obituary printed in the Valley Irrigator, 1929. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

ARBUCKLE: Services for 80-year-old Georgia (Moore) Arbuckle will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, December 30, 1992, at First Congregational Church, Belle Fourche, with Rev. Ray Schatz, officiating. Burial will be in Pineslope Cemetery under the direction of Frost and Sons Funeral Home. She died early Monday, Dec. 28, at the Belle Fourche Health Care Center. Georgia Moore was born February 27, 1912 at Ethel, Mo., the daughter of Theopolis T. and Jennie (Whisenand) Moore. She grew up in Ethel and Bucklin, Mo. where she attended school, graduating from high school in Bucklin. She married Clarence Arbuckle in Bucklin in 1930. The couple moved to Belle Fourche where she has since resided. She was a member of the Congregational Church, Belle Fourche, and the Tirzah Club, Daughters of the Nile. A memorial has been established to the Congregational Church. Two sons survive, George Arbuckle of Belle Fourche and Ed Arbuckle of Arvada, Colo; two grandchildren; two step grandchildren; one step greatgrandson; one step great-granddaughter; and one nephew. She was preceded in death by her husband in 1968, one daughter, one brother, two sisters and one niece.

Obituary published in the Belle Fourche Daily Post, 30 December 1992. Submitted by Sandra Williams.

Back To Top of Page

FRANKLIN: John Franklin died last Wednesday: Funeral services were held at the Frost Funeral Home in Belle Fourche, Monday afternoon at 2 p.m., for John D. Franklin, 58, who passed away suddenly Wednesday evening of a heart attack at the Chris Arpan ranch near Hoover. Interment in Pine Slope Cemetery. John D. Franklin was born June 24, 1881 at Blue Earth, MN. He came to SD in 1909, locating in Sorum where he was assistant cashier of the bank. He was married to Florence Howard of Alton, IA, June 8, 1916 at Sorum. Two years later Mr. and Mrs. Franklin moved to Newell where Mr. Franklin was employed in the Livestock Exchange Bank of that place until the bank changed ownership. For a time after that he was employed by the Fairmont Creamery Co. The past winter Mr. Franklin spent with his daughter, Mrs. Wesley Gilmore at Ekalaka, MT. The last of March he came to Belle Fourche, remaining here about a week, then going on to the Arpan ranch where he had employment for the summer. He had been in failing health for the past year and Wednesday evening of last week was taken with a heart attack, passing away suddenly. Deceased is survived by his widow, Florence Franklin, one daughter, Enid Gilmore, a step-daughter, Mrs. Leo Doody of Rapid City, and a step-son, Willis Howard of Twilight. Also two sisters, Mrs. Nils Johnson, Hurley, NM, and Mrs. W. H. Houser, of Hilliard, FL, and one brother Elmer Franklin of Portland, OR.

Obituary printed in the Belle Fourche Bee, 11 April 1940. Submitted by Gordon Mitchell.

GLOVER: DAY GLOVER DEAD. The distressing news of the death of Day Glover of Vale on Wednesday came as a distinct shock to the many friends of the Glover family in this community. Day was found at his ranch home shortly after noon yesterday with a bullet wound in his head and a revolver in his hands and died without regaining consciousness. The supposition is that Day killed himself in a fit of despondency. Besides the widow, he is survived by three children, one a baby about two months old. Wallace Butts, field inspector for the Butte County Bank of Belle Fourche, made the discovery. Mr. Butts arrived at the ranch shortly after noon for the purpose of inspecting a bunch of cattle which Day was feeding for the bank. After knocking at the door and receiving no answer, Mr. Butts went to the pasture to look over the stock and when he returned to the house heard groans coming from within. Opening the door he discovered Day lying on the bed in an unconscious condition. Mr. Butts notified relatives and Dr. Clark was sent for, but Day passed away before the physician arrived. The funeral will be held Saturday at 1 o'clock with services in the Community building in Vale.

FUNERAL OF DAY GLOVER AT VALE. One of the largest funerals ever held in Vale, took place Saturday afternoon, when services were held from the Vale community church for the late Day Glover. Rev. Carroll D. Erskine, pastor of the Sturgis Presbyterian church, officiated, assisted by Rev. E. H. Kent, pastor of the Vale community church. The music was under the direction of Mrs. Alma Stewart with Mrs. Nelson Kingsbury at the piano. A quartet sang three selections. The casket was covered with floral offerings. Friends were present from all the Hills towns as well as his home community. Interment was in the Vale cemetery. The pallbearers were Helmer Carlson, Lee Simmons, James Fowler, Otis Smith, Russell Arndt and Andrew Rosander. Day Lyons Glover was born in Mount Ayr, December 11, 1886 and was brought by his parents to the Hills, in 1887. He was married to Susie Coulter (Culter) at Deadwood, in July, 1928. He has lived on his ranch east of Vale, for many years and has been a most respected and upright citizen, and possessed a host of friends. He has had much sickness, only recently having returned from the Mayo clinic at Rochester, Minn., where he had been for treatment. He leaves to mourn his untimely passing, his wife and three children (two by his former wife), his father, John G. Glover of Vale, a sister, Mrs. Chas. Wilson of Newell and a brother, Rome Glover of Vale. He was a member of the Vale Odd Fellow and Woodman lodges.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, 18 April 1949. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: Boomer Glover Dies at 98. Frank (Boomer) Glover, 98, last of the colorful figures of the early days of the Tri-State area, died Friday evening at the Don Pratt Manor. Funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock this morning at St. James Episcopal Church with Fr. James Barton officiating. Burial is to be in the Beals Cemetery west of Vale. Glover was the first white child born in the Belle Fourche river valley near Vale. That event occurred Sept. 6, 1880. He was the son of Bethel and Mary Glover. Boomer spent his early years as a cowboy and his declining years as something of a one-man tourist attraction. He wore a battered brown cowboy hat, had a white goatee and mustache and he loved to sit on street corners talking and whittling. His whittling gained Glover recognition in all parts of the country. He carved willow canes, decorated with cattle brands of the region in his cowboy days. Those willow canes made their way to all parts of the country, including the National Cowboy Hall of Fame at Oklahoma City. He also loved to whittle tiny pendant style cowboy boots for tourists while he chatted. Glover grew up in the Vale area and in 1906 was married to Mary Wood of Vale. One son, Oliver, was born to the couple. In 1909 he was married to Eva Cundy of Spearfish, who died at the time of the birth of their daughter, Bertha. In 1913, Glover was married to Caroline Wilson, who died in 1924. Two daughters were born to the couple -- Lela Francis and Georgia. Glover attended rural schools in the Vale area and worked on the Glover home place until 1900. It was this period that Glover loved to talk about. He went first to Miles City and in the spring of 1901 to Missouri and Iowa. He returned to South Dakota and was employed by the OHO ranch on the White and Bad rivers. He was in on the last big roundup on the Cheyenne River in 1902. In 1903 and 1904 Glover worked for Ed Lemmon on a fence gang and broke horses. He went to work for the L7 wagon going to Dickinson for a trail herd shipped from Oregon by Oliver Rose. He often talked about the time the group dipped 28,000 head of cattle twice, along with 4000 horses. Lemmon leased the Standing Rock reservation in the spring of 1902 and Glover was part of the crew that fenced the vast area. Glover returned to Vale in the fall of 1904, filed on a homestead and was subsequently married. Glover later went into the horse business, running 300 head in the Moreau River country. Glover was a member of the St. James Episcopal Church, the South Dakota Cowboy and Western Heritage Hall of Fame at Ft. Pierre; the National Cowboy Hall of Fame at Oklahoma City; Butte County Historical Society; Half Century Club; 1902 Cowboys. Survivors include two daughters--Mrs. Edward (Lela Frances) Dunford, Birmingham, Ala.; Mrs. Joe (Bertha) Weimer, Las Vegas; two sisters--Edna Heetland and Olive (Bee) Gray of Sacramento, Calif.; five grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; four great-great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, four brothers, a son and a daughter. A memorial has been established for the South Dakota and Western Heritage Hall of Fame at Ft. Pierre.

(Submitter's note: His WWI Draft Registration listed his full name as Franklin Levi Glover. The name Levi was his grandfather's first name and one used by many descendants. His third wife, Caroline Wilson, was a daughter of Fred and Mate (Ball) Wilson).

Obituary printed in The Belle Fourche Daily Post, 27 February 1979. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.


JOHN GLOVER KILLED FRIDAY. Was struck by a Horse at County Fair at Nisland - Born in Ohio - Funeral Held at Vale. A tragedy that cast a pall over the last day of the county fair at Nisland was the accident that resulted in the death of John Glover of Vale, one of the pioneer ranchers of the Belle Fourche Valley. Mr. Glover was standing near the end of the fence entering the home stretch when one of the running horses bolted the track striking Mr. Glover and knocking him to the ground breaking his neck and causing almost instant death. The horse that caused his death was Billy Elkhart, owned by George H. Timm of Rapid City, and ridden by Dennis O'Brien of Belle Fourche. As a mark of respect to Mr. Glover, the program at the fair was suspended for a few minutes while all stood with bowed heads. Mr. Glover was an ardent lover of horses especially running horses and for the past forty years has been identified with fairs and races in the Black Hills country. In fact a race meet was hardly considered complete unless Mr. Glover was present. John Glover was born at Ava, Noble Co., Ohio, March 2, 1850 being in his 79th year at the time of his death. He came to the Black Hills and settled on a ranch near the present town of Vale in 1888 (89). Ranching, raising cattle and horses have occupied his time, giving much attention to the raising of horses of racing strain, and due to his efforts the standard for this blooded stock has been raised throughout the valley and tributary country. In connection with his live stock business he travelled extensively over the country and as consequence had a wide acquaintance and many friends who held him in high esteem. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Charles A. Wilson (UnaDell) of Newell; four sons, Rome Glover of Ft. Meade. John, Kenneth and George Glover of Willow Lake, SD, also two sisters, Mrs. Curt Willey of Des Moines, IA and Mrs. Hugh DeBolt of Hale, MO. The funeral was one of the largest ever held at Vale, Friends coming for many miles to pay their last respects to a man they honored. Rev. Carroll D. Erskine of Sturgis preached the sermon. The Vale Community Choir, consisting of Mesdames E. Holtry, Wyant, Humphrey, Stewart and M.H. Giers, sang three beautiful selections, and Dean Mc Sloy of Rapid City sang a vocal solo. Burial was in the old Vale Cemetery (Beals) 1 mile W of Vale, Butte Co., SD, beside his wife who passed away in 1908. The pall bearers were Messrs. H. B. Gray, W. W. Glover, L.G. Glover, C.C. Glover, A.S. Glover and H.B. Wood. The casket was covered with a profusion of wreaths and floral emblems.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, September 1929. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: MRS. JOHN GLOVER DEAD Mrs. Mary J. Glover, wife of John Glover of Vale, died at their ranch on Saturday, June 13. Mr. and Mrs. Glover are among the old timers in this part of the county and many are the friends who extend sympathy in their sorrow. Of Mrs. Glover's death the Valley Irrigator said -- "The funeral services were held Monday afternoon in the Presbyterian church west of Vale. The church was packed to overflowing by friends who had come to show their last sad respect to the dead. The services were conducted by Rev. Carter of Sturgis. The pall bearers were Messrs. L. Decker, H. Beals, Pearson, John Oliver, J. R. Curtis, and John Holst. Maria J. Lyons was born in Noble county, Ohio, June 20, 1852. In 1883 she was married to John Glover and moved to Iowa. In 1880 she became a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church, in which faith she lived until her death. In 1889 they moved to the Black Hills country. Seven children blessed this union, five of which are living. Mrs. Glover's health has not been good for a year, but she did not give up until last September when she had to go to bed. Since then she has been up and down. About ten days before her death she had a bad spell, but last Saturday she was up and around and feeling much stronger than for some time, and walked around without her cane which she had used for several months. Saturday night she retired late and when the household awoke next morning they found that death had claimed her. There was no struggle, and death came easy after her long suffering. Besides a host of friends, Mrs. Glover leaves a husband and her five children, Rome, Will, Charley, Mrs. Chas. Wilson and Day, to mourn her loss."

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, June 1908. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: FUNERAL RITES FOR KATHERINE GLOVER TO BE SUNDAY Funeral services for Katherine Glover will be at 3 p.m. Sunday from Anderson-Stingley Funeral Chapel, the Rev. Charles Markman of the First Presbyterian Church officiating. She died Wednesday at the Dorsett Home in Spearfish, where she had lived five years. She will be buried in the family cemetery west of Vale. Mrs. Glover was the first white child born at Fort Pierre Jan. 1, 1878. She was married to Rome Glover in 1900 (19 Oct 1898). They moved to Forest City, where they lived several years, moving to the Vale area where he operated a horse ranch. In 1913 they moved to Canada, and in 1929 returned to Sturgis, where they had lived since. Glover died in 1943 (4 Apr 1945). Surviving are one son, Clarence, Sturgis; a daughter, Mrs. Grace Beschell, Alberta, Canada; a sister, Rose Courtney, Rapid City, and four grandchildren. A memorial to the Heart Fund has been established.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, March 1962. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: ROME GLOVER, VALE PIONEER, CALLED BY DEATH WEDNESDAY (4 Apr 1945). Rome Glover, aged 72, succumbed to a heart attack at his home in Sturgis at 2:00 o'clock yesterday afternoon. His health had been impaired since suffering a stroke about six years ago, but he had been quite active and his sudden passing came without warning. He is the last one of the five children of Mr. and Mrs. John Glover, early-day settlers in the Vale community. Preceding him in death were his brothers William, Charles and Day, and a sister, Mrs. Chas. A. Wilson. The funeral services will be held at the Vale Community Hall next Monday, April 9th, at 200 o'clock p.m. The Rev. C. D. Erskine of Sturgis Presbyterian church will preach the sermon. The Anderson & Son Mortuary of Sturgis will have charge of the arrangements. Interment will be in the old cemetery, just west of Vale, beside the graves of his parents. Rome Clayton Glover was born on February 14, 1873 in Ava, Ohio. He came to the Black Hills region with his parents in 1889 and that fall they located a homestead about four miles east of Vale. Rome attended the first established school in Vale. He was married in 189(8) at Ft. Pierre to Miss Kate Hurst, who survives him. Also surviving are three children-- Harry of Princeton, British Columbia; Mrs. Grace Bischell, of Kinsella, Alberta, Canada, and Clarence, serving in the SeaBees somewhere in the South Pacific. There also are three half-brothers surviving -- Major John Glover, now with the U.S. Army on the front in Germany; First Lt. Kenneth Glover, also in Germany, and George Glover with the naval forces in the Pacific.

SERVICES HELD FOR ROME GLOVER: Funeral services for Rome Clayton Glover, 72, were held from the Vale Congregational church on Monday at 200 p.m. The Rev. Erskine officiated. Music was furnished by Mrs. G. R. Holtry, Mrs. Charles Homer, and Rev. and Mrs. Sollie. The active pallbearers were Jim Davis, J. Lee Forbes, Billie Hill, Roy King, George and August Maas. The honorary escort consisted of Horace Farnsworth, Wm. H. Gladden, Bert Jenks, H.M. Jenks, Gus Fredlund, and Emil Milberg. Burial was in the Old West Vale cemetery under the direction of the H. O. Anderson and Son Mortuary of Sturgis. Glover was born on February 14, 1873 in Ava, Ohio. He came to the Black Hills with his parents in 1889 and they located on a homestead about four miles east of Vale. He was married in (1898) at Ft. Pierre to Miss Kate Hurst. He worked for various cattle companies and made his home in Canada for 16 years before returning to Vale. For the last few years he made his home in Sturgis. He is survived by his wife, three children, Harry of British Columbia; Mrs. Grace Brischell of Alberta; and Clarence, who is with the Seabees in the South Pacific.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, April 1945. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: WILLIAM R. GLOVER DEAD. William R. Glover of Vale passed away Tuesday night <10 November 1925) at the Methodist Deaconess hospital at Rapid City, to which place he was taken Sunday evening for an operation for obstruction of the intestines. The body has been taken to Vale where funeral service will be conducted today by Rev. C. D. Erskine of Sturgis. Mr. Glover is survived by his wife, three sons and a daughter, a father, John Glover of Vale, a sister, Mrs. Chas. Wilson of Newell, and two brothers, Day Glover of Vale and Rome Glover of Canada. He was born October 25, 1877, in Iowa.

WILLIAM R. GLOVER Laid to Rest at Vale. The largest funeral ever held at Vale took place on Thursday afternoon when William R. Glover was laid to his final resting place. The services were held in the Vale community building. Rev. Carroll D. Erskine, pastor of the Sturgis Presbyterian church, officiated. The casket was covered with many floral emblems. The Alfalfa Lodge No. 197 of Odd Fellows attended in a body and in full regalia and conducted their ritual at the grave. William R. Glover was born October 25, 1877, in Ringgold County, Iowa. He came to the Black Hills in 1887, was married to Lena Wilson (Carolina) at Sturgis in 1905. He leaves a wife, three sons James, Raymond and Roy also one daughter, Hazel; his father, John Glover of Vale, and one sister, Mrs. Dell Wilson of Newell. The deceased was a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge at Vale. He was an exemplary citizen, a kind, good husband, a good brother, and a neighbor to all. He was a leader in the Vale community affairs and lent his influence for all good causes, and was highly esteemed by all for his character and integrity. The pallbearers were Carl Koepp, Nelson Kingsberry, Luther Hill, George Sitz, Lee Simmons and Edward Payne. Friends were in attendance at the services from Sturgis, Newell, Nisland, Whitewood, Rapid City, Belle Fourche and other points. The heartfelt sympathy of all is extended to the sorrowing relatives and loved ones in the great loss sustained. The deceased was ill only a few days and died during an operation at Rapid City.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, November 1925. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

GLOVER: WORTHY GLOVER DIES AT R.CITY TUESDAY. Services for Prominent 50-year old Vale Farmer to be held at Vale This Afternoon. Funeral services will be conducted from the Vale school gymnasium this (Thursday) afternoon for Worthy W. Glover, 50, lifetime resident of Butte county and former Newell homesteader and Reclamation bureau and State Highway employee, who passed away in a Rapid City hospital Tuesday after a short illness. He entered the hospital about two weeks ago to undergo a major operation, but failed to recover. Rev. E.E. Erickson will conduct the services at 2:00 o'clock and burial will be in the Vale cemetery under the direction of the Anderson funeral home of Sturgis. Pallbearers will be Spencer Godfrey, Louie Wilcox, Dewey Holdren, R. D. Long, Andy Rosander and Lewis Baldwin. Mr. Glover was born at Vale on November 27, 1890, and grew to manhood in that community. He was united in marriage to Helma Saukko on February 1, 1914, at Newell, and in 1917 they homesteaded near Newell. He was employed by the Reclamation Bureau for several years. In 1926 he moved back to Vale with his family and worked for the State Highway department until 1932. Since then he has been engaged in farming on the old Glover homestead. He was an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Newell for several years and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He was also a member of the Vale Community Club and school bus driver for several years. Worthy Glover was a great lover of home and family, and his first thought was always of others. He leaves to mourn his departure his widow, and five children, Mrs. Mary Ellen Edwards of Newell, Donald of Leadville, Colo., Tom, Betty and Bob of Vale; one grandson, Alan Edwards of Newell; three brothers, Clyde of Newell, Frank of Vale, and Alva of Wautauga; two sisters, Mrs. H. B. Gray and Mrs. J. E. Hammontree of Newell; other relatives and a large number of friends.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, 05 September 1940. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

JOELSON: Mrs. Joelson Funeral Thursday Afternoon. Funeral service for Mrs. Matilda Joelson was held Thursday afternoon of this week at the family home west of Fruitdale, Rev. Wm. Sasse of Spearfish preaching the sermon. Burial was in the Snoma cemetery. Matilda Marjavarra was born in Uuron Vuono, now Alexandrovitch, Russia, December 16, 1865. She was united in marriage to Ulrich Ellison, in Norway, in 1884. They came to America in 1888, locating at Mendocino, Calif. Seven children were born to this union, four of whom are living, Mrs. Mary Muonio, Gackle, N.D.; Mrs. Alma Christensen, Centralia, Wash.; John and Oscar Ellison, Fruitdale. The father passed away in January, 1898. Mrs. Ellison was married to Isaac Joelson in Mendocino, Calif., in 1899, and in 1905 the family moved to Snoma, east of Belle Fourche. To this marriage six children were born, four are living, Esther Joelson, Fruitdale; Isaac Joelson, Moskee, Wyo.; Mrs. Miriam Jackman, Minneapolis, Minn.; Mrs. Hilman Hermanson, Lead, S.D. Besides her husband and children, she leaves to mourn her death one sister, two brothers in Russia, and twelve grandchildren.

Obituary printed in The Belle Fourche Daily Post, January 1937. Submitted by Steve Excell.

LINDELL: Funeral services for the late Carl Lindell, 42, were held from the Schulte Mortuary Chapel Saturday afternoon. Rev. Dan J. Rueb of the First Baptist Church of Deadwood was in charge of the service and interment was made in Mt. Moriah Cemetery. Mr. Lindell passed away Thursday night at St. Joseph's Hospital following an illness of two months duration. He was born at St. Onge and spent the major part of his life in this section of the Northern Hills. He is survived by his wife and five children, a sister, Mrs. Henry Harbeck of Lead and a brother, Alfred Lindell of Castle Rock, South Dakota.

Obituary printed in the The Black Hills Weekly, 10 December 1937. Submitted by Mari Johnson.

LINDELL: WELL KNOWN PIONEER CALLED: Wilhelmina Lindell Passed away at 6:35 P. M. Monday February 13rd 1925, having only appeared weak the last few days, yet not sufficient to cause worry. On Sunday it was decided to have her Daughter, Anna Harbeck of Lead to be with her, several of the neighbors having called when she appeared sinking. Alvin Harbeck and Emmett Wharton having been sent to Lead in a hurry to bring her daughter, arriving with her on Monday afternoon when Mrs. Lindell appeared as though dozing away, partly asleep and resting, answering questions as put to her and without complaint and apparently without any pain or suffering. No notice appeared visible as though death was approaching and it was not noticed that she had died having acted as though resting, yet when some of those present asked questions and received no responses, taking hold of her, it was found that life had left her body. Those that were present realized that she must have passed away as quietly as could be, there having been no complaint as to suffering, consequently it can be assumed that she died a peaceful death. As soon as facts were realized by those present, her son Alfred and Wesley Cook made a hurried trip to Newell to make proper arrangements for the funeral and telegraphing and phoning relatives. Her son, Carl was informed at Sioux Falls and he immediately hurried to make proper connections so to help supervise funeral arrangements. Carl's wife was unable to make the trip with her husband, she being confined herself, having just lost her infant daughter. A brother of Mrs. Lindell, Louis Callquist of Hulett, Wyoming was notified, including a sister, Mrs. Chas. Thornwall, of St. Onge. Undertaker J. H. Christian of Newell took charge of the remains and immediately took same to Newell for attention. Funeral services will be held in Newell on Saturday at 2:30 P. M. Her many friends will miss this kind old lady that was loved and respected by all, she having been a kind and loving mother and a valued neighbor and citizen who had done more than her share in helping develop the western part of this county, having come here with her husband and family in 1909 when Mr. Lindell took up a homestead near Castle Rock, having made that their home since. The husband, Carl Lindell passed away in 1915 and was buried in the cemetery in Newell. Wilhelmina Lindell was 78 years of age, having lived in St. Onge for three years prior to coming to Castle Rock and before that time lived in Gayville since 1878. She leaves to mourn one daughter, Anna Harbeck of Lead, formerly Castle Rock, two sons, Alfred and Carl A. Lindell of Castle Rock. Other relatives being a brother, Louis Callquist of Hulett, Wyoming and a sister, Mrs. Chas. Thornwall of St. Onge, South Dakota.

Obituary printed in the Castle Rock Press, 26 February 1925. Submitted by Mari Johnson.

MARTIN: William Maurice Martin passed away at his home in Belle Fourche shortly after one o'clock Wednesday morning of this week [23 April 1923] at the age of eighty-nine years, death being due to a complication of ailments incident to his advanced age. Funeral services will be held at the Martin home this (Thursday) afternoon, at 2 o'clock. William Maurice Martin was born September 21, 1833, near Rochester, NY. At the age of thirteen he went with his parents to Missouri, where he remained until 1852, when he cast his lot with a party bound for the west, and eventually landed in California where gold excitement was running high. For the next twelve years he followed mining, travelling extensively over the Pacific coast country prospecting, going as far north as the Columbia river, and travelled for many miles by boat up this stream in search of the precious metal. He returned east in 1864, going to Ottawa, Ill., where on March 2, 1865, he was united in marriage to Miss Loretta H. Brown, whose brother he had met and travelled with in California and other places in the west. Mr. Martin remained in Illinois until 1877, when stories of the riches in the Black Hills attracted his attention, and in 1877 he again started west, reaching the Hills that same year and located at a mining camp near Rochford, where he was joined by his family in 1879. <snip> Mr. Martin was a man who enjoyed a wide acquaintance, and to know him was to be his friend, his kindly manner, generous consideration of others, and happy disposition combined to make him popular with his fellow man. Although almost to the four score and ten year mark, he retained his faculties to a remarkable extent and his interest never lagged in events of the day or community affairs. He is survived by his wife, three children, C.T. Martin, editor of the Valley Irrigator at Newell; Mrs. A.M. Harris of New York City; Robert I. Martin, editor of the Sun at Saratoga, Wyo, all of whom were with their father in his last hours. Mr. Martin is also survived by twelve grandchildren and nine great -grandchildren.

Obituary printed in the Belle Fourche Bee, 24 April 1923. Submitted by Skip Wiest.

MOORE: Charles Moore Dies at Rochester Sunday. Charles Moore, 53 year-old Belle Fourche resident, died Sunday night at a Rochester, Minnesota hospital, it was learned here yesterday. Moore, a partner in the firm of Arbuckle and Moore, Belle Fourche plumbing firm was taken to Rochester last week. He had been in intermittent ill health for some time. Moore's sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Arbuckle accompanied him to Rochester. The body is expected to be returned to the Frost and Son Funeral Home here for final arrangements and burial.

Obituary printed in the Belle Fourche Post, 12 January 1960. Submitted by Sandra Williams.

MOORE: Funeral services for Mrs. Jennie Moore, who died September 6, at Belle Fourche, South Dakota, were held at the Larson Funeral Home, Bucklin (MO.), conducted by the Rev. Lloyd E. Morgan. Burial was in the Union Chapel Cemetery.
Jennie Whisenand was born March 1, 1871 at Ethel, the daughter of Isaac and Mary Whisenand. She and Andy (Carter) were married in 1890. Six children were born, four of whom preceded her in death. Mr. Carter also preceded her in death. Later, she married Theopolis Moore and to this union three children were born. Another son, preceded her in death and Mr. Moore in 1941. Surviving are three sons, Tom and Charley, Belle Fourche, South Dakota, Paul, Paola, Kansas; one daughter Mrs. Georgia Arbuckle, Belle Fourche, South Dakota; five grandchildren, two brothers, Tom and George Whisenand.

Obituary printed in the Marceline Press, Linn, MO., 10 September 1948. Submitted by Sandra Williams.

MOORE: Moore Rites To Be Conducted Today, Services at 230; Burial in Minnesela Cemetery. Funeral services for Theophilus "T" Moore, 73, who died at his home here Wednesday evening, will be held from the Baptist Church this afternoon at 2:30. Rev. Paul E. Boomer will conduct the service. Burial will be in the Minnesela graveyard. Pallbearers have been selected. They are Charles Miller, Andrew Jarvi, George Decker, William Smith, Edward Gates and Hugh Ott. Moore was born July 31, 1867 near Barnsville, Mo. came to Belle Fourche from Bucklin Mo. in 1923. He had been employed by W.T. Wyckoff until about a year ago. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Jenny Moore; two daughters in Belle Fourche, Mrs. Clarence Arbuckle and Mrs. Earl Brammer; three sons, Charles, Belle Fourche; Cephus and Henry at Elmer, Mo., and two step-sons, Paul Carter at Paola, Kansas and Thomas Carter at Bucklin, Mo. Also surviving are 15 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren. The body is now at the Frost and Son Funeral home. Funeral arrangements were made after receiving word from the sons in Missouri and Kansas that they would not be able to attend the last rites.

Obituary printed in the Belle Fourche Post. 14 March 1941. Submitted by Sandra Williams.

OSBORNE: Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Osborne, 93 year old Belle Fourche resident who died Wednesday morning, will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 from the Four-Square Gospel church. Rev. Harry Blunt, congregational minister will officiate. The body will be shipped to Howard, in Miner County, former home of the deceased, for burial.

Obituary printed in the Belle Fourche Daily Post, 16 October 1942. Submitted by Evelyn I. Fricke.

PERRY: George Perry, another of the early pioneers of eastern Montana, died at his home 25 miles north of Baker last Monday at the age of 80 years. Brights disease caused his death. Mr. Perry had lived in this section 13 years. He was born at Cornwall, England, and came to this country 37 years ago. Before coming here he lived near Cheyenne, Wyo. Decedent is survived by three sons, James M, Robert, and Henry and sister in England.

The body was taken by automobile to Belle Fourche, SD for burial beside his wife, Mary, who died in 1905. Brief services were held by Rev. Pollard at the Baker Congregational Church yesterday.

Obituary printed in the Fallon County Times, Baker, MT., 25 May 1916. Submitted by Faye Bruce.

PERRY: The dead body of J. M. Perry of Cabin Creek was found Sunday morning by Bob Perry lying along the banks of the creek. Mr. Perry had been seen the night before and apparently in good health, although for several years he had been more or less ill and subject to paralytic spell. Bob Perry, the brother to the deceased says he saw his brother Saturday night, and that when he was found missing Sunday morning, he and a son of Mr Reynolds went out to search for him. They found him lying along the bank of the creek in about a foot of water, he apparently fallen in and became unable to help himself. Word was sent to another brother, Mr Henry Perry, who is in New York state, and the body will be held for the present, and as soon as all the relatives are notified it is planned to take it to Belle Fourche, SD the former home of Mr. Perry for burial. Mr. Perry, who has lived in this country for a good many years, leaves a host of friends who mourn his untimely death. Funeral Services were held at the Congregational Church at 2 o'clock Thursday. Interment will be made at Belle Fourche, SD where the remains of his father and mother rest.

Obituary printed in the Fallon County Times, 21 August 1924. Submitted by Faye Bruce.

PERRY: Mrs. Geo. Perry died suddenly Friday afternoon on Indian Creek near the road ranch. She and a son were driving across country to Wibaux, Mont, near where the family resides. Shortly after leaving the ranch road the son who was sitting in front driving spoke to his mother and recieving no answer glanced around and discovered that she was dead. The son started immediately for his father's to inform him, and Mr. Arpan came into town and sent a telegram to Wibaux. The son rode all night Friday and Saturday and met his father and two other brothers on the way. They all reached here after the long ride Monday evening. In the meantime the body was brought to town and prepared for burial. Deceased was sixty-five years old and had been in ill health for some time. Burial was made in the cemetery here Tuesday morning.

Obituary printed in The Belle Fourche Bee, 06 July 1905. Submitted by Faye Bruce.

SAMPILA: MRS. JOHN SAMPILA PASSES - Funeral Held Wednesday Afternoon from Lutheran Church [4 Sep 1935]. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon for Mrs. John Sampila, a resident of this community for 14 years, who passed away at her home Sunday following a Stroke of paralysis. Rev. M. N. Joensuu, pastor of the Finnish Lutheran church of Lead, conducted the services in the First Lutheran church, Newell, and spoke both in Finnish and English. The church was filled and many were compelled to remain outside. Interment was in Newell cemetery. Anna Nikkilä was born in (Simo) Finland on July 1, 1884 (Ed. note: 02 Jun 1882), and came to the United States in 1902 (Ed. Note: Feb.1903). On October 27, 1906, she was united in marriage to John Sampila, and to this union were born seven children, two of whom died in infancy. The family resided in Terraville for nine years, later moving to Fruitdale, where they lived for six years. In 1921 they moved to Newell and have resided here ever since. Mrs. Sampila suffered a stroke of paralysis on May 31, 1935, from which she partially recovered. On August 29th she suffered a second stroke, passing away Sunday, Sept. 1st. At the time of her death she was 51 years and two months old. She was a member of the Finnish Lutheran Church. She leaves to mourn her passing her husband, John Sampila; four daughters, Mrs. James Glover, Mrs. Martin Berg and Lembi Sampila, all of Newell, and Mrs. Emil Kumpula of Lead; one son, John, and a nephew, Eino Wirkkula of Newell; also one sister in Finland, one brother, John Nikkilä, of Mullen, Idaho; one sister, Mrs. Ernest Bottala, Newell; two grandsons and several nieces and nephews, besides a host of friends. Pallbearers were Alvin Palo, Carl Jukkola, Adam Hill, Fred Ranta, Hemming Strong, and Walfred Harman. Song selection Rock of Ages rendered by Mrs. Madge Milberg.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, 05 September 1935. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

WILSON: RITES SET FOR CHARLES WILSON, BUTTE PIONEER Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday (September 1949) at 2 p.m. from the Newell Lutheran church for Charles A. Wilson, Butte county pioneer and community leader. Rev. Norval Hegland will conduct the rites and burial will be under the direction of the H. O. Anderson funeral home of Sturgis. Wilson was born in Junction City, Kas., March 27, 1876. He moved to the Black Hills with his father in 1879, and settled along the Belle Fourche river. He homesteaded south of Newell vicinity for 70 years. Wilson was well known as a sheep breeder, and bought animals for several commission houses in Sioux City, Ia. He served as a Butte county commissioner for 16 years, and was a member of the irrigation board. On Dec. 25, 1903, he was married to Una Dell Glover at Lead. She died June 11, 1941, and Wilson subsequently was married June 18, 1949, to Bessie Marsh at Miles City, Mont. He is survived by his widow; a daughter, Mrs. Ruth Martin of Newell; two brothers, John of Newell and Henry of Vale; and two sisters. Mrs. Lena Glover of Newell and Mrs. Emil Milberg of Newell. Also surviving are five grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

CHARLES A. WILSON OF NEWELL DIES Charles A. Wilson, 73, pioneer resident of the Newell community, died Sunday morning at 11 o'clock at St. Joseph's hospital in Deadwood. Wilson, who came to Newell as a small boy, was born in 1876 and had lived in that that community all of his life. He rode the stage into the Black Hills and homesteaded. Surviving him is his wife, a daughter, Mrs. Frank Martin of Newell; two broghters, John and Henry, both of Newell, and two sisters, Mrs. Emil Milberg and Mrs. Lena Glover, both of the Newell community. Also surviving are several nieces and nephews, five grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at the First Lutheran church in Newell. Burial will be in the Wilson cemetery at Newell.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, September 1949. Submitted by Scarlett Glover

WILSON: MANY AT LAST RITES FOR MRS. C. A. WILSON Pioneer Newell Lady Had Lived In This Territory Since 1889; Died Last Wednesday (11 June 1941). Friends and acquaintances from a wide area paid their last respects to a 57 year resident of this territory, Mrs. Chas. A. Wilson, last Saturday afternoons at one of the largest-attended funerals ever held here. The services were conducted at the First Lutheran church by Rev. Ralph Okland, Sturgis, Lutheran minister, and Rev. A. E. Cash, Episcopal minister of Deadwood. Burial was in the Wilson cemetery southeast of Newell under the direction of H. O. Anderson & Son of Sturgis. Special music included two selections by the Lutheran choir with Mrs. Okland as accompanist, and a vocal solo by Paul A. Wiest. Pallbearers were R. D. Long, Walter Cunningham, O. Christopherson, E. L. Wold, Geo. W. Cook and Adolph Johnson. Una Dell Wilson, wife of Chas. A. Wilson, passed away at her home near Newell, on Wednesday evening about 9:00 o'clock, June 11, 1941, at the age of 57 years, three months and 17 days. She was born February 25, 1884, in Redding, Iowa, daughter of John and (Maria) Jane Glover, and came to the Black Hills region with her pioneering parents, and settled near Vale in 1889. Fifty-two years of her life were spent in the Vale and Newell communities. She was joined in wedlock with Charles A. Wilson, member of another pioneering family, at Lead, on December 25, 1903. Mr. and Mrs. Chas. A. Wilson made their home on a farm three miles south of Newell for the past 38 years. Into their home two daughters were born, namely Ruth Mildred and Esther Jane. The latter died March 30, 1912, at the age of 3 1/2 years. Mrs. Wilson was a sincere homemaker and neighbor and an active club, community and church worker. She joined the All Saint's Episcopal church of Newell on May 2, 1930. She was possessed of a genial and charming personality; her wide circle of acquaintances number her many friends who held her in the highest esteem. Mrs. Wilson was always active and hardly realized her own illness. She was taken to the hospital in Rapid City on May 21st. On June 11th, she returned home after seemingly making encouraging improvement. A stroke, sudden and without warning terminated her happy and exceedingly useful life. She was preceded in death by her mother on June 13, 1908, her father on August 30, 1929, and an infant sister. Her brothers Day, William and Charles Glover, and her daughter Esther Jane. She is survived by her husband, Chas. A. Wilson; a daughter, Ruth Mildred Martin, and five grandchildren, all of Newell; a brother, Rome Glover of Sturgis; three half brothers, John, Kenneth and George Glover, other relatives and a large number of close and devoted friends.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, 18 June 1941. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

WILSON: Henry C. Wilson, one of the first settlers in the lower Belle Fourche Valley, passed away Saturday afternoon, October 3 (1931), at the home of his youngest son, Henry Wilson, Jr., southeast of Newell. Funeral service was conduced from the home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock and burial was in the Wilson Cemetery, Rev. H. W. Jamison of Newell conducting the service. The history of Butte County for the past fifty-four years, and the history of Henry Wilson for the same length of time are closely interwoven. He was the first assessor this county had, when the area was almost one hundred miles square, and assessing was a real job, with long trips on horseback or in a buggy, over rough prairie with only occasional trails, through swollen streams. It was all in the season's work for the assessor of this infant county. He served in that capacity for two terms, 1883-87. So well did he perform the duties of that office that he was selected as county commissioner in 1889, and served two terms in that capacity. Being county commissioner seems to run in the family, as a son, Charles A. Wilson, is now, and has been for several years county commissioner of Butte County. Mr. Wilson always took an active interest in public affairs, whether it be politics, school affairs, irrigation problems, or the general development of his county, and in the days he was active a county-wide meeting was not complete unless he was present. He was a man of strong convictions who did not always agree with the majority, but even those who opposed his views learned to respect him for his sincerity and zeal. Born in Modum, Norway, March 24, 1850, Mr. Wilson was in his eighty-first year at the time of his death, which followed an illness of about three years duration, the last eleven weeks being bedfast. He spent his childhood in Norway, starting for America with his sister and aunt on May 6, 1865, the journey requiring seven weeks. After arrival in America he worked for a short time for an uncle in Chicago and also cooked on a freight ship on the Great Lakes, going to St. Cloud, Minn., in 1868, and during that year drove a team from St. Cloud to Fort Toten, Devil's Lake, N.D. The next year he went south, locating at Junction City, Kansas, where the railroad was pushing west, and where real western history was in the making. Here he secured employment with the railroad construction contractor, and here also he was united in marriage, in 1872, to Miss Caroline Peterson. That Mr. Wilson was in those days an active participant in the affairs of his community is shown by the fact that he served on the police force of Junction City during the early seventies. Discovery of gold in the Black Hills and the opening of this district to the whites in 1876 attracted his attention, and in the spring of 1877 he started north, bound for the new El Dorado, which he reached on April 15 of that year. Mrs. Wilson and four children followed in the fall of 1879. Mr. Wilson secured employment with the Father DeSmet Mining Co., but his desire was to get a ranch, and with this in view he had made trips to the Belle Fourche Valley and other places deciding that near where the town of Vale now stands was the place that had the most appeal and accordingly he filed a squatter's right and to this place he moved his family in the spring of 1880. Six children were born, William C., who passed away several years ago ; John P.; Charles A.; Mrs. Annie Milberg; Mrs. Caroline Glover and Henry J. A brother, Andrew, lives at Sam's Valley, Oregon. Nineteen grandchildren and five great grandchildren survive. The wife and mother passed away five years ago. The county commissioners adjourned on Tuesday and in company with a number of other county officials attended the funeral of Mr. Wilson.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, 08 October 1931. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

WILSON: PIONEER WOMAN IS CALLED - Mrs. Henry C. Wilson Dies at Age of 82 years. Although it was generally known that she had been grievously afflicted for a long time past and had been in critical condition for several days, the announcement last Saturday (26 November 1926) of the death the previous evening of Mrs. Henry C. Wilson came as a profound shock to the old friends of this well known family and cast a pall of sorrow over the entire community. Coming to the Black Hills in 1879 with her children to join the husband and father in what was then the frontier of civilization, Mrs. Wilson was one of the first white women in the Belle Fourche valley, where the family located and have since continously resided for the past forty years. That Mrs. Wilson had endeared herself to all with whom she came in contact during her long residence in this country was amply exemplified by the outpouring of people who came from far and near to pay their last respects and solemly to offer tribute to the memory of a devoted wife and mother and an exemplary neighbor and citizen. Mrs. Henry C. Wilson was born January 1, 1845, in the district of Hellestad, province of Ostergatland, Sweden. Her maiden name was Caroline Peterson. She was baptized into the Christian faith at an early age; as was the custom, she received Christian instruction in the state schools and was confirmed at the age of 15 years. In 1869, in company with a sister, she emigrated to America and settled in Junction City, Kansas, where in 1872 she was joined in holy wedlock with Henry C. Wilson. In the spring of 1877, responding to the call of gold which was urging thousands to enter the Black Hills, Mr. Wilson reached the Hills on April 15th of that year. Mrs. Wilson and four children followed him to this region the fall of 1879, and the following spring moved onto the ranch on the Belle Fourche river, six miles south of Newell, where they built up one of the most attractive homes in the valley and have continuously resided. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were blessed with six children, as follows: William C. (deceased); John P., Charles A., Annie M. (Mrs. Emil Milberg, Lena (Mrs. William Glover), and Henry J. Besides the bereaved husband there are nineteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren to mourn her passing. The funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon, the religious rites being conducted by the Rev. E. W. Sihler preached a scholarly sermon, speaking words of comfort and solace, A choir rendered several beautiful hymns. A wealth of beautiful floral offerings spoke loving token of affection from numerous friends. Six grandsons--Harold and William Wilson, James and Raymond Glover, Ralph and Elmer Milberg--served as pallbearers, conveying the remains with tender care to their final resting place.

Obituary printed in The Valley Irrigator, November 1926. Submitted by Scarlett Glover.

Back To Top of Page
Back To Butte County Genealogy Page

This page was last updated 14 July 2008